Utilities & Engineering – Central Utility Plants
The 900+ positions of the Facilities Division service the students and staff of the University's teaching, research/administrative space and 2,240 acres of infrastructure. The Facilities Division provides design and building services, maintenance, custodial, landscape, solid waste removal, utility, mail, and motor pool services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The goal is to deliver cost effective services to the University, ensure completed projects and maintenance that conform to codes and regulations, while minimizing University liabilities and disruptions caused by the maintenance, repair, building, and equipment modifications to the University.
Further information on the department can be found at: http://www.facilities.ofa.ncsu.edu.
This position will primarily independently troubleshoot mechanical, electromechanical, electronic, and digital control systems related to thermal plant equipment (chillers, boilers, pumps, fuel systems, cooling towers, cogeneration systems, etc.). In addition, this position will execute service and maintenance of thermal plant digital/electronic control systems and field devices to include both hardware and software. This position will independently perform preventive maintenance on control systems and field devices.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
• Associate's Degree in Electronics; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
• Experience in the repair and maintenance of a variety of specialized electronic devices.
• Knowledge of and experience with using Kirchhoff's circuit laws and Ohm's Law for troubleshooting, circuit testing and modification.
• Ability to use analytical thinking skills to troubleshooting situations using logic, reasoning and hypothesis testing.
• Must be able to communicate effectively with supervisors and the general public. Must be able to understand instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
• Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds occasionally.
• Extensive experience troubleshooting mechanical, electromechanical, electronic, and digital control systems related with thermal plant equipment and control systems for the operation of chillers, boilers, pumps, fuel systems, cooling towers, cogeneration systems, etc.
• Experience with thermal loops (steam and chilled water) in a multi-building campus environment.
• Experience with plc based control systems, including Honeywell HC900 based systems.
• Experience in troubleshooting data networks, computers and software to determine point of failure.
• Ability to work independently and use critical thinking skills.
• Ability to follow and address safety issues.
Why you should apply:
NC State University is ranked as one of thehttps://www.forbes.com/best-employers-by-state/#634d9eaa487a and recognized among the best universities in the country in many https://www.ncsu.edu/about/rankings/. Forbes annual survey of America's best employers by state places NC State as the best large employer in North Carolina. NC State embodies a culture that values collaboration, creativity, innovation, diversity, and teamwork. We provide a team-oriented culture, work/life balance, and work that makes a difference in our community, the state, and beyond.
This position is located in Raleigh, North Carolina. The Raleigh area is routinely recognized in nationwide surveys as one of the best places to live in the U.S. Residents enjoy an outstanding quality of life, strong economic growth, affordable housing, and great weather, all in close proximity to the mountains and the seashore.
Learn more about Raleigh at https://raleighnc.gov/accolades.
Interested in joining our team?
All applications must be submitted online through the NC State employment website. To view the full job posting, application instructions, and to submit an application please visit: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/152876
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at 919-515-2135 or [email protected]
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.