Essential Job Functions:
- Utilizing a Housing First approach the person in this position will be responsible for identifying and build rapport with homeless individuals and families living on the street, emergency shelter, bridge housing, or in other places not meant for human habitation. The Navigator will assist clients in breaking the cycle of homelessness by moving from the street to interim housing, accessing necessary social services, and rapidly obtaining permanent housing. The Navigator will provide individualized client support throughout this entire journey by helping each client address any barriers to obtaining permanent housing. This includes linking with services to increase income (employment or benefit enrollment), identifying, and accessing physical health, behavioral health and/or mental health resources as needed. The Navigator will work closely with the Community Coordinator to track homeless trends and work with the Housing Matcher and Housing Locator for appropriate referrals to housing. Essential Job Functions include those listed below
- Case management of a large caseload of clients, up to 30 at a time.
- Have a strong working knowledge of housing services, supportive services, and community resources.
- Perform navigation services, contacting homeless persons in all places where they congregate in the geographic areas of the Fresno Madera Continuum of Care.
- Work with clients to address barriers to housing.
- Assist clients with procuring necessary documents and services such as identification card, birth certificate, social security income, disability income/verification, certification of homelessness, and other documents as needed.
- Provide transportation to appropriate services.
- Provide information, referrals, linkages, and advocacy to assist clients in accessing services and resources.
- Assist clients in applying for housing vacancies, completion of supportive and subsidized housing paperwork, and monitoring progress to completion.
- Ensure clients transition smoothly to permanent housing
- Follow clients through and among services to achieve housing stability and retention
- Navigate clients until they are linked to appropriate housing intervention or services are no longer needed
- When applicable, attend required Fresno Madera Continuum of Care (FMCoc) CES and Navigator trainings
- Provide weekly updates to Master by Name List and participate in weekly FMCoc case conferencing meetings
- Provide all services in linguistically and culturally appropriate manner, including use of interpreters for those with limited English proficiency
- Embrace and embody the mission, vision, guiding principles, clinical vision, and goals of WestCare Foundation; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Two (2) Years Case Management experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Good documentation skills.
- Be able to multi-task; and
- Valid drivers license
- Must maintain and execute confidential information
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities.
- CPR Certification, First Aid Certification, and an Annual Tuberculosis test
Experience and Competencies
- Graduation with a two-year degree in Psychology, Social Work, Community and Human Services, Rehabilitation Counseling or a related field is preferred; and
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- Two (2) years of experience in providing direct counseling services to persons with alcohol and/or drug problems is preferred.
- Intake and assessment experience is preferred.
- Marketing and/or sales experience preferred.
- Experience working with Drug Medi-Cal is preferred.
- Bilingual is preferred.
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system.
- Must have knowledge of the ASAM Assessment system, 1 year experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Adherence to the highest standard of ethical conduct, especially to standards governing confidentiality.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must be culturally/linguistically sensitive to populations served.
- Valid drivers license and ability to obtain and maintain WestCares vehicle insurance is required.
- CPR Certification, First Aid Certification, and an annual Tuberculosis test.
- As mandated by the State of California those employees who work at Residential, Outpatient, Sober Living, provide Mental Health Services, Administrative Staff or Transitional Living Facilities must be fully vaccinated and have received a booster. Employees that have requested a Medical or Religious Exemption, which has been approved by Human Resources will be required to test for the virus weekly.
- During your tenure with WestCare there may be new requirements, including, but not limited to vaccinations that are issued by local, State, Federal, and/or Funders that WestCare may have to comply with. Should this occur Human Resources or appropriate personnel will inform you.
WestCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment at WestCare is contingent upon
successful completion of a pre-employment drug test,
pre-employment physical and criminal background check.