Sterling Site Access Solutions LLC is a national vertically integrated site access service provider to the North American Energy Infrastructure Marketplace. An Illinois based company, with facilities located across the country, including regional construction offices, distribution centers and world class manufacturing facilities. As a data driven company, Sterling provides complete turnkey ground protection products and services to the transmission & distribution, renewables, civil and oil & gas markets. Sterling is committed to developing our employees, providing best in class customer service and being responsible stewards of the environment.
The goal of the Project Manager (PM) is to deliver projects with excellence - on-time, within budget, and according to the requirements of the contract, so that the expectations of the customer are completely satisfied, and Sterling meets or exceeds financial objectives.
The responsibility begins with participating or sometimes take the lead on the project proposal. Upon award, the PM will then proactively oversee and manage every detail of the project from the award of an order through the close-out of the job. This includes but not limited to project planning, customer contracts, subcontracts, accurate and complete order set-up, change order management, cost control, invoice, A/R management consistent with all company policies and procedures.
The PM shall exemplify leadership and collaboration with the project team and serve as the liaison and primary point of contact with the customer, protecting the interests of the company, while advocating for the Customer. The PM shall actively and regularly engage the customer to ensure we are attentive to their needs and maintain a strong relationship. The PM shall be in constant communication with the Field Services Team, regularly visit their jobsites to ensure a complete understanding of the schedule, quality of the installation, performance of the Field Services Team and monitor any changes to the work scope.
The PM shall maintain constant fiduciary and contractual control over their assigned projects including, but not limited to, scope, incurred costs/expenses, profit, margin, change orders, invoicing, and A/R aging. They shall control, anticipate change to, and regularly report the financial status of the project in comparison to the budget.
To be successful, the PM must be flexible, organized and exercise sound judgement and decision-making in all project matters, while keeping the customer and internal stakeholders properly informed of the on-going status of the project. He / She shall lead by example and consistently demonstrate professional, timely and efficient services to all internal and external customers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consistently demonstrate commitment and support for the Sterling Vision and Mission, policies, and procedures.
- Comply with and be an advocate of the company's Environmental, Health & Safety Policy and Procedures.
- Pursue Continuous Improvement activities to ensure efficiency and effectiveness within area of responsibility.
- Assume other responsibilities and complete tasks as assigned to meet the on-going needs of the organization.
- Ensure adherence to company (policies, processes, and procedures).
- Ensure adherence to the Delegation of Authority (DoA).
- Assist in mentoring Assistant Project Managers, Field Engineers and Project Coordinators.
- Ensure compliance to relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Support and advise those who are estimating new projects.
- Lead the project team professionally, courteously.
- Respect and adhere to the organizational "Chain of Command” when addressing problems or concerns.
- Work closely with Sales developing, strengthening and expanding relationships with existing customers to increase our business with them.
- Develop and/or review project proposal / estimating history.
- Conduct Project Kick-off Meetings, when warranted.
- Initiate the new customer and vendor creation process when necessary.
- Carefully plan and schedule projects upon receipt of an order.
- Carefully, thoroughly and accurately prepare Job Bundle documentation in a timely fashion.
- Support all project team members in the timely preparation and release of the order within company systems.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain to confirm available inventory for the project. Actively participate in operations calls.
- Deliver commitments on-time to both internal and external customers.
- Maintain regular and timely communication and collaboration with the customer and the ECS project team to ensure flawless project execution according to customer expectations, the contract, project schedule, and cost estimate.
- Maintain an accurate Project Schedule. Track progress and report milestones, budgets, and deliverables.
- Maintain a proper historic record of key project details, developments, decisions, change orders, etc.
- Troubleshoot customer issues and execute action plans to resolve. Remove roadblocks to guarantee on-time shipment / project execution.
- Conduct regular site visits and audits to verify Safety and Environmental (SWPPP) quality and compliance.
- Ensure that the B2W Job and the NAV Sales Order / Job are accurately updated and maintained throughout the duration of the project through collaboration with the assigned members of the project team.
- Plan ahead. Maintain knowledge of open jobs. Collaborate with company departments to optimize job-to-job movements. Develop a working knowledge of project and customer operating, regulatory and reporting requirements.
- Conduct a post-project Lessons Learned Meeting with project stakeholders to foster continuous improvement.
- Identify project risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Initiate and manage the Emergent Work Process in the when emergent work arises.
- Conduct a detailed review of the contract. Become the "expert” on the contract once executed.
- Initiate and manage the completion of the Contract Management process for all job-specific contracts or new Master Service Agreements (MSA's). Expedite the process to obtain an executed contract ASAP.
- Confirm the validity of the customer's MSA. Update as required.
- Conduct a review of the MSA to ensure understanding, as needed – become the authority on requirements.
- Confirm the project Scope of Work, Contract Value and Project Schedule. Resolve discrepancies with quote.
- Obtain a Certificate of Insurance (COI), as required.
- Manage the project according to the terms and conditions of executed MSA and purchase release.
- Recognize and pursue potential Change Orders until complete. Analyze how any and all potential Change Orders impact the executed Contract, including scope, cost, contract value, T&C's, and schedule. Process all Change Orders according to corporate policy and procedure.
- Formally notify the customer that the project has been completed. When feasible, obtain customer sign-off/approval of Final Acceptance.
- Initiate and manage the completion of the Subcontract Agreement process for all subcontracts. Expedite the process to obtain an executed agreement ASAP.
- Monitor, coordinate and manage all subcontractors.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Maintain constant fiduciary control over assigned projects including, but not limited to, maintaining an accurate and up-to-date accounting of project costs, contract value, profit, margin, invoicing, and A/R aging
- Regularly utilize ERP-based project financial reports to maintain a clear understanding of actual costs in contrast to the "budget”. Initiate corrective actions, where feasible, to ensure prudent project cost control. Notify Management of cost overruns.
- Anticipate changes and respond effectively to mitigate negative cost implications.
- Review, edit and approve Daily Field Logs each day, on-time and according to procedures.
- Diligently review and approve vendor and subcontractor invoices. Dispute discrepancies.
- Lead/oversee the Customer Billing/Invoicing process. Maintain accurate revenue recognition and retention records.
- Proactively prevent excessive A/R aging.
- Participate in the end-of-job close-out and financial analysis.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Character consistent with the Sterling Values and Business Code of Conduct & Ethics.
- Portray a consistent, positive, and winning attitude with a team mindset.
- Self-starter, ability to handle criticism, flexible, works well with minimal direction.
- Maintain flexibility and agility to respond to the customer and company needs.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes quickly in a fast-paced environment both within a team or independently.
- Proficient MS Office computer skills with the ability to learn and utilize specialized software applications.
- Effectively communicate in English - both written and oral.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity in project scope development, budgeting, scheduling, risk management, and contract negotiations.
- Knowledge of construction methods, techniques, materials, tools, precautions, utilities, and field safety.
- Ability to direct work safely and efficiently under high standards and tight timeframes.
- Highly organized, analytical, and strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to interpret and communicate work from instructions, plans, and sketches.
- Ability to keep detailed records and to prepare work plans, schedules, and time reports
- BS degree in Business Management, Construction Management, Engineering or similar.
- In lieu of the above degree, a minimum of 10+ years Construction / Project Management experience is required.
- Minimum of 2-years Project Management experience required.
- OSHA 30 preferred, ability to obtain certification within (30) days of hire.
- CPR/ First Aid required, ability to complete certification within (30) days of initial hire date.
- Must possess valid Driver's License with a clean driving record and be able to pass a federal background investigation.
The working conditions described here are representative of what the employee should expect to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role.
- Up to 50% travel. Includes driving in all kinds of weather, traffic, and road conditions.
- Regular exposure to an outdoor work environment with a variety of weather extremes.
- Required to work overtime or weekends as defined by the needs of the department.