Title: Business Analyst
NYC Parks helps bring together people from all over our great city. From the iconic Central Park to neighborhood playgrounds, we own and operate some of the most exemplary green spaces in the world. At NYC Parks, our mission is to plan resilient and sustainable parks, public spaces, and recreational amenities, build a park system for the present and future generations, and care for parks and public spaces.
NYC Parks offers innovation, leadership, the satisfaction of public service and a place to grow and develop your career. Full-time employees are also eligible for a wide variety of City benefits and perks.
Compressed Working Schedule – flexible working schedule may be available.
Health Care Coverage - We offer a wide variety of health care plans to meet the needs of you and your family.
Pension - Upon retirement, qualified members of the City’s generous pension program receive a guaranteed salary and health benefits for the rest of their lives.
Professional Development - We offer numerous training programs, leadership development opportunities, and career coaching services, while encouraging employees to attend approved off-site trainings and seminars.
Perks - Our employees are eligible for discounts on some of the top attractions in the city, and all employees receive free membership to our recreation centers.
Parks IT is looking for a Business Analyst to identify, define and document business processes and software requirements to be developed as software. The Business Analyst will serve as a liaison between business and IT teams by facilitating communication and determining software objectives that align with stated and unstated business needs.
Under supervision, with latitude for independent action the Business Analyst will:
· Obtain a deep understanding of relevant business area(s) to recommend solutions and build high-quality requirements.
· Implement a variety of techniques to understand business requirements, such as interviews, workshops, surveys, site visits and storyboards.
· Elicit, document and analyze business requirements on information technology projects in order to recommend business and information technology solutions. Assess business problems and process gaps; identify opportunities for new requirements.
· Create functional deliverables such as business scenarios, as-is/to-be flow diagrams, use cases, functional designs, screen mock-ups, etc. Facilitate user acceptance testing.
· Create interaction models and interface designs for IT projects based on established standards, business and technical requirements and input from functional team members. Participate in human-centered design activities, user research, software prototyping and usability testing.
· Optimize business requirements by making recommendations and suggesting alternatives to proposed solutions. Drive improvement initiatives using creative collaboration techniques, emerging methodologies and automation tools.
· Understand technical options, limitations, costs and risks. Communicate tradeoffs to business partners and work with them to shape requirements accordingly.
· Effectively articulate project nuances and complexities to City executives, Agency Heads, Assistant Agency Heads, City business partners and stakeholders while being responsive and sensitive to underlying politics.
· Lead teams in the execution of iterative workflows and the use of collaboration tools that focus on speed to market, return on investment and delivery of business value.
· Work with business and delivery teams to prioritize requirements.
· Help resolve competing priorities between stakeholder groups by facilitating stakeholder discussions and escalate issues where appropriate.
· Manage requirements scoping throughout the delivery process.
· Support delivery teams as they develop, test and deploy solutions.
· Review delivery team output to ensure requirements are correctly interpreted; ensure software products and solutions are appropriately tested to meet functional (usability) and technical (performance) requirements.
· Identify and assist in prioritizing opportunities to streamline business processes.
· Keep abreast with emerging technologies, coordinate demonstrations and proof of concept initiatives. Liaise with vendors, as necessary.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, human computer interaction, interactive media, digital and graphics design, data visualization, communication or a related field, and four years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the areas(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or,
2. An associate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, human computer interaction, interactive media, digital and graphics design, data visualization, communication or a related field, and six years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the areas required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or,
3. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, and eight years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or,
4. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1”, “2”, or “3” above.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Minimum three years in gathering requirements, business analysis, use cases and creating functional requirements documents.
2. Experience determining the explicit and implicit needs and requirements of various stakeholders.
3. Ability to quickly learn objectives, structures, operations and policies of a new business area.
4. Strong problem resolution, negotiation and influencing skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to engage both developers and business partners to achieve target outcomes.
6. Proven interpersonal skills and an ability to influence senior leaders and peers.
7. Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical information in a condensed manner to various stakeholders.
8. Experience creating documentation such as business case documentation or business requirements summaries.
9. Adaptability and a willingness to learn new skills.
10. Experience with agile development methodologies and agile planning tools such as Jira.
11. Background in city government projects preferred.
12. Business analysis certification (e.g., CBAP) preferred.
13. Professional certification in agile methodologies preferred.
14. Experience with MS Dynamics, Salesforce and Tableau.
Salary: $90,000 - $95,000 plus excellent benefits
Work Location: Arsenal West, Manhattan
Open Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers